When my husband and I moved to Los Angeles from NYC, I was confused by all the beach-goers on Christmas day! Whhhaaattt was happening?! It didn't feel right. And after 13 years of living in SoCal, I get it. But I still miss the seasons. Especially fall. Fall brings the cooler temps, the autumn leaves, and the dry, sensitive skin. Ok. So maybe I don't miss THAT! We should definitely show our skin extra love as we welcome the fall season. It's the perfect time to help our skin recover from summer and prepare for the cooler, LA winter months. Seasonal changes with a loss of moisture from the air can provoke problems; flaking, itching, stinging, redness and inflammation. Exaggerated fine lines and wrinkles - who’s excited about this one?! These are signs that your skin cannot properly protect you from environmental challenges, including a change in season. These symptoms mean your skin is crying out for help! So how can you maintain your skin’s integrity through the cooler months? Let us count the ways.
1. Hydrate from the inside: Drink plenty of water to help keep your skin hydrated in spite of the cooler air. We all think we drink a lot of water, but do we really? ;)
2. Gentle cleansing: Opt for a gentle cleanser. My absolute favorite this time of year is Dermaviduals Cleansing Milk. There is no way this will strip your skin of it's natural oils.
3. Moisturize daily: This one should be obvious, but you may have to bump up your moisture game in the next several months.
4. SPF: Yup! Even in winter, protect your skin from UV rays with daily use of SPF! ~ 1/4 tsp for face and neck, to be exact.
5. Avoid hot showers: Sorry. Hot showers can dehydrate your skin. Opt for luke warm water instead. Eek! This one will be tough for me, too. :)
6. Invest in a humidifier!: A humidifier can help bring moisture back to the air. This is something I repeat every year. Are you over it. ;)
7. Indulge in nourishing facials and hydrating treatments: The extra care will go a long way as we make our way into winter. Speaking of nourishing facials... the Qi Beauty Treatment may be my favorite for this! Nourishing, AND quite beautiful.